Monjas Funicular Elevator, Valparaíso, Chile

 

Funicular elevator located on the hill of the same name, in the historic district of Valparaíso. Inaugurated in 1912 and declared a National Monument in 1998, the Monjas funicular elevator is one of 16 in the city. In 2012, after three years out of service, it was acquired by the State to be restored and set up to operate as a means of urban transport. The work includes integrated pest management, the intervention in both the upper and lower station platforms (both with simple port style architecture), the structural improvement of the foundations, the tracks, the electromechanical systems and the specialized installations. Highlights of the restoration include the profiles of mouldings and cornices on the facade, as well as the reproduction of decorative ornamental elements using silicone rubber moulds.